01 July, 2008

New Frogs

A rather sad string of events has led to both of my vivariums being unoccupied. My Green Tree Frogs, Jay, and Silent Bob vacated first. even though he appeared the more healthy one, Silent Bob stretched out one day and never returned to his leafy pose. Jay carried on for a few weeks but one day while the cage door was open, went for a walk and took his life by crawling into a dry towel. No doubt he was lonely for his life-long friend. Jay and Silent Bob's neighbors, WOW Buddy and Hidey Hole, my two Yellowback Poison Dart Frogs passed later. I noticed that Hidey -named for his tendency to hide in the driftwood holes of his home. had not peeked out for about a week even for a meal and found his body buried in the waterfall rocks under the basin. Taking special care to keep an eye on WOW Buddy's health I noticed that he was fine for about a week and then one day he didn't come out. Unlike Hidey, WOW Buddy was always out and about, and never missed a meal. I found him stretched out in the rocks under the basin, nearly gone. I finally figured out that the waterfall in their home just wasn't enough for them, they needed a dish to soak in. I put him in water and he instantly perked up. He looked even better when I checked on him later. But when Keith came home he was dead.

Having two empty vivariums was just too sad. So I have started looking for new tenants, beginning with the arboreal habitat. I settled on two White's Dumpy tree frogs. I have avoided them in the past because the only ones I had seen were plump and flabby -think Jabba the Hut. Recently however, I have seen some full grown Dumpies that were at a healthy weight and found that they can be really beautiful frogs if not not over fed.

These are my two new frogs, who have yet to be named. They are not yet old enough to tell if they are male or female so whatever their names will be have to be good either way. If you have any fun ideas send them my way!
An action shot of the larger one who is seafoam green color...

He is posing for this one...

Back in his new home, on a leaf...

This one is a bit smaller. and he is olive green...

They are hard to see in the photo, but he has cream colored spots on either side of his back.

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

You make me want to go shopping for birds!!!!! I'm craving a new pet in my life, but Buddy'll will just have to overcompensate for the time being. They're gorgeous!!! Congratulations on the new additions to the family!

~~ The Wig

Pepper said...

Leanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your frogs, your week and your bad days. I'm glad everything is going better and.......I guess congrats on the new F-R-O-G-S! You know how freaky they are to me but I'm happy they brighten you up!